Re: Sudden Death extended contests

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:37:34 -0000

Actualy that's not how the rules were designed. Robin was pretty clear that he though people should make their bet, roll the dice to see who won, then describe what happened. He designed the Feng Shui rules the same way.

Of course I much prefer to have the game narative drive the mechanics. Nevertheless the players are still perfectly clear what the rules are and how best to use them, so I have found that sometimes they are pitching their descriptions of the character's actions with a specific optimum AP bet in mind.

Specificaly, if you have a target number and AP advantage, the best tactic is to bet only slightly under your total APs. This will almost always leave your opponent wiped out of you win, or you still standing and in with a chance if you lose the first round.

If you're betting temporary penalties, if you lose that high initial bet then you're totaly screwed. Next round you'll be broomeat. It means that taking big risks realy is risky. Of course you can always use a Hero point to save your bacon, and perhaps PCs would have to use HPs marginaly more often than they otherwise would, but I think it would lead to a much grittier, hard-edged feel - especialy in combat.

Simon Hibbs