RE: Re: Sudden Death extended contests

From: Graham, Andrew <agraham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:20:45 -0000

> >I can see two other ways to deal with wounds that happen within the
> >extended contest.
> >
> > One would be that when you reach the grievous wound level the wound
> >applied is the same as if it had been a simple contest
> result but with
> >major and complete successes inflicting an Injury.
>
> The problem with this is that in contests between multiple-mastery
> semi-heroes, 15 AP just isn't much any more. In fact, if the roll was
> a Complete Success, that 15 AP was the result of only a 5 AP bid! This
> would certainly speed up a contest, but maybe too much.
Major or Complete successes are not that common without mastery advantages. As most contests between even combatants result in a marginal success so you would only get a Dazed rather that a -1. During combat I would treat Dazed as a -1 which can be shaken off by a "Final Action" type recovery roll [one attempt allowed per round]

> >Secondly pass the -1 injury onto the follower of your
> opponent instead
> >of the hero. As followers take injuries one level higher than heroes
> >this would result in an injured follower. This would not
> affect the AP
> >total unless the follower failed his relationship roll [Halved due to
> >wound] and left the battle.
>
> I like this idea, but I see complications. First, WHICH Follower do
> you Injure?

That is up to the hero who's follower is injured.

> If your opponent has lost a little AP already, and has two
> Followers, and you Injure one of them, do you Injure the one who has
> already lost some AP, or the one still contributing his full AP?
See above. The AP total dose not change once the combat is started because your skill changes. So the AP gained from a follower will not change if she is injured during combat. The Hero's Ap total will only change if the follower falls out of combat taking her remaining AP's with her.

> Second, what happens if the Follower does not leave when Injured, and
> the Hero is defeated to Dazed level? Is the Follower dead or Injured?
The consequences of the overall battle are in addition to those that happen during the battle. So the follower in your example would have two injuries and would be in a bad way.

> Third, this is no help at all against the main Hero...
That's right if the follower stays you would have been better of putting the -1 on the main hero. That's your choice and depends on your tactics. This suggestion was to make combat more bloody and have long term consequences even for the victor, not to speed it up.

This E-Mail and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and for the
exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you have received this E-Mail in error please return it to the sender.
We should be grateful if you would also copy the communication to postmaster_at_... then delete the E-Mail and destroy any copies of it.

It is your responsibility to scan any attachments for viruses.

For further information, visit us at WWW.MITSUIBABCOCK.COM