Re: Sudden Death extended contests

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:50:33 -0000

> Now, I'm quite aware that there are difficulties; there will be a
> tendency to try to "model" that injury in later conflicts. But I
> think that the solution to the problem of the "clean" fight, where
> the winner remains unscratched, can be solved this way. All the GM
> needs to do is limit themselves to the kind of minor injury that
> doesn't scream "action penalty

In other words, if you win a fight, you will automatically escape entirely unhurt and at full ability, regardless of the situation, unless your opponent has used the Penalty of Grievous Wound rules, just like I said. It doesn't matter how much fluff you add in, the character has full ability, and is uscathed, unless actual penalties are applied. Bruised knuckles and the like are all very well for colour, but so long as the character keeps winning, he is invulnerable to any harm, a situation that not only fails to reflect any degree of reality (nicely timed article on that on RPGnet), but also fails to represent the heroic struggle against mounting wounds and injury so often depicted in fiction. You either have rules for it, or you make up arbitrary and potentially inconsistant results. You could say, of course, that once you make the results consistant, it's a rule (which you may or may not want to apply every time).

Wulf