Only an Initiate...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:36:27 GMT

The Unspoken Mark writes:
> FWIW, in the Hero's Book, a -10 improv modifier for Initiates using
> Feats is spelled out, based on Greg's latest thinking. This is not
> just some petty 'using my Fast Talk as a Spread Rumours' kind of
> improvisation. You are, after all, asking a god to bestow onto you
> mythic powers, even though you devote only half the time and effort
> into worship as a devotee!

This seems a slightly murkily compound concept. Are you saying that all Feat improvisation is at -10? Or that there's specifically a different penalty for "Initiate improvisation"? (i.e., for being an initiate, full stop.)

I can understand the thinking here (assuming it's the latter, that is), since in HW1 the difference between initiates and devotees isn't as striking as it "ought" to be, in a game world sense. I'm not convinced that this isn't really just a "strongly disincentivise initiates" sort of solution though, rather than making the distinction in a way that'll come over in play.