Re: Weird Mastery Stuff

From: charlescorrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:07:28 -0000

> This is partly because the target number of 20 cannot fumble
> - which means it cannot ever suffer a Complete Defeat in a
> simple contest - and partly because the 1w cannot critical
> (after the mastery has been cancelled).

Point of disagreement here...
A rolled 1 for a skill of 1W _is_ a critical. There is no mastery cancellation for a contest between skills of 1w and 20, so the "downgraded"  success is bumped back to a citical.

I agree on the point that the 20 skill "cannot fumble" does give a slight advantage to the lower skill.

As an aside, I notice in the real world that my skills often plateau while I integrate new insights. While there is true development going on in my head, there is no externally measurable progress or even slight regressions. So these bumps on the curve do not worry me...

regards,
Charles