Re: Only an Initiate...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:54:51 GMT

Wulf Corbett:
> From what I know, which seems to match Mark, it's -10 to Improvise any
> unknown, or at least uncemented, Feat. Therefore it covers all
> Initiate use of Feats, and any Improvisation of an uncemented Feat by
> a Devotee. Augmentation from the Affinity is at full rating for both,
> and from a feat at full rating for a Devotee.

Ah! That wasn't what I'd anticipated, but it has a certain logic to it. My initial worry was "but won't this lead to discouraging imaginative use of magic?", but on reflection, I don't think that's likely to be a problem: just as long as its made clear that one can still make flexible or "improvised" _use_ of a known Feat (at some smaller penalty, perhaps) as opposed to this penalty inn cases where one doesn't know an appropriate Feat at all.

> >I'm not convinced
> >that this isn't really just a "strongly disincentivise initiates"
> >sort of solution though, rather than making the distinction in a way
> >that'll come over in play.
>
> We have found it to be no sort of disincentive at all. Players who
> will make a lot of use of magic take Devotees and use Feats, those
> that won't take Initiates and use Augments.
>
> I'm looking forward to rules on imposing the proper sort of
> restrictions on Devotees, myself, it seems to me the problem is that
> it's too easy to be a Devotee, with no downside. We tend to think that
> 60% time restriction means you can only use the character 1 in every 3
> scenarios, for instance. "Sorry, use another character, that one's
> busy" (of course, we have everyone create more than one character to
> start with). Unless that character is specifically useful in a given
> scenario, of course "No, you have to take the other character, he's
> under orders to go".

Well, at present the problem is there's minimal upside, _and_ minimal downside. A -3 penalty is fairly trivial, and the 'time' restriction can be interpretted in any number of ways, some of which would be quite restrictive, but the tendancy might be to not worry about it at all, especially in episodic style play -- at least until one gets to 110%... ("Oops.")