Re: Spending Hero Points

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:15:57 -0700

> >What do Hero Points represent, if anything, in game world terms?
>
> Not unless you want your characters to be aware of their stats.
> Personally this is something I'd avoid like the plague.

HPs represent change, growth, luck and heroic actions (depending on where & when they are spent). They are that quick "oh god let me do this one thing" in the middle of a tense situation, or "I've spend hours in the gym and look at my toned physique".

> >Could a player, for example, spend a Hero Point against his own
character's
> >chance of success?
>
> I'd certainly allow it. An early rules draft noted that you
> could just automatically accept a lower level of success if
> desired, but I believe that passage was cut for space reasons.

I would as well. After all, in this situation "losing" the fight is really "winning", and HPs are meant to help you win...

Roderick