Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:59:01 -0000

Simon Hibbs
> 1. Most of the time people will be rolling against their
full Affinity rating.

Same if Initiates and Devotees both get Affinities at full value augments, but only Devotees get feats.

In play we have found the major use of magic is augmentation, done from an affinity by an initiate or using a feat by a devotee. Both use the listed number.

You gain no advantage - all your initiates say 'I use Swordhelp' rather than 'I use my Combat affinity' to describe what they are doing.

You introduce new complexities. Every Orlanthi adult with a Wind affinity can change the weather. Every Orlanthi adult with a Movement affinity can run up cliffs or do a sunset leap. And you do not need to introduce this for the game to work. You have powered up everyone in the world into a competent magician. Sure Glorantha has more magic, but not this much magic. For most people working magic of complexity requires ritual, they do not have feats.

> 2. Obviously augmenting feats aren't a useless embarrasment.
They never were. They allowed multiple augments, the chief advantage when augmenting for devotees. It is an artefact of the rules that feats are often special effects augments. Again, giving everyone feats has implications for the world, because you will allow everyone to perform multiple augments.

>3. Devotees get more flexible use of their magic than initiates,
who can only use rote feats. This seems more sensible than letting initiates be flexible and only giving devotees the rote abilities.

But devotees get the both the flexibility of initiates with affinites and feats.

The feats list in the rules are not supposed to be the 'off-the- shelf', free with every initiation list. They are examples of the kind of feats that can be done with that affinity. The same a spells are the kind that exist in a grimoire, not an exhaustive list of everything in the grimoire.

In the spirit of the other side, this is a change I would be horrified to see in the 2nd edition.

Some rules are broken but please Simon, play the game as is for a some months before you start changing to the rules.

Ian Cooper