Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:56:04 -0000

> Some rules are broken but please Simon, play the game as is for a
> some months before you start changing to the rules.

I have played the game many times, just not in a campaign yet. I don't think that this change breaks the game world.

For a start I doubt every Gloranthan has their magical affinities as their best abilities, so we won't be seeing every other Sartarite leaping into the sunset any time soon in my game. Even if they did, remember that even competent ordinary people don't get the ability ratings that PCs get.

Secondly I doubt all ordinary initiates actualy get all the feats listed under their affinities out of the gate, but for this game I am alowing my players to do that. In a lower-powered game I would expect initiates to start with one or two feats and gain more during play.

Finaly, everyone I know who has generated a character for the first time, whether their characetr was an initiate or not, listed all the feats for their affinities. In fact the character generation rules tell you to do this, and make no distinction between initiates and devotees in this regard. It even defines Magical abilities in this way : "Magical abilities are typically called feats, spells, powers, or spirits." No mention of affinities. Therefore beginning players will assume that the feats they were told to write on their character sheet are the magical abilities that matter for their character.

That's certainly what happened in my game this time around, and it's also what happened in the Dara Happan high society game we played last year.

As I said in my last post, this may not be the best solution for other people's games, it may not even be the best solution for my game, but I have to make a call and that's that.

Simon Hibbs