Re: Just Curious

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:02:46 -0800

Roderick

> How many of you (as narrators) would allow a player to take an obviously
> non-natural ability for a starting character? For instance, would you allow
> a starting character to have "Fly", "Spit Fire" or "Breathe Water"?
> (assuming that these are normal humans, not Windchildren, Dragons or Fish
> :-) ). Would you make these abilities "more expensive" than, say, "Run" or
> "Ride"? (by more expensive, would you ask for more than "Joe can Fly" in a
> 100-word character, or take up more than one slot in a List character).

I might quibble at Fly for a Heortling character only to adhere to the "only Vanganth" party line, but sure, why not? Fly at 13 is hardly going to be a problem.

And since this is one ability (you fly, nothing else), why should it be more expensive? I don't require "rides a Goldeneye horse" (which is actually 2 abilities, Ride and the steed itself) to have a lengthy explanation of how the non-Grazer got the Goldeneye.

(Again, I might quibble more if a Grazer took this, unless they were of appropriate age group. But that's because in my Grazer game I was trying to accurately portray the Grazers. It's something the culture wouldn't do. A flying Grazer is kinda strange too, but it's not prohibited by the culture, so I'd allow that with no quibble at all.)

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>