Re: Just Curious

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:23:19 +0000

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:30:11 -0800, "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_sierratel.com> wrote:

>How many of you (as narrators) would allow a player to take an obviously
>non-natural ability for a starting character? For instance, would you allow
>a starting character to have "Fly", "Spit Fire" or "Breathe Water"?

Depends on how it's introduced. Such an ability should be the defining factor of the character, setting him/her apart from all others. I wouldn't allow the 100-word description to simply end "...and he can fly, too", but I would allow it to start "Born with the power of Flight, Joe was destined to worship Vanganth...". Not so much 'how many words?' as 'how deeply set into the whole character?'

Note to the two or more players in my campaign on this list: Forget it, it's not original any more :-) In my opinion, the first one gets marks for originality, the runners-up get the cold shoulder...

Wulf