Just Curious

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:11:31 -0500

> How many of you (as narrators) would allow a player to take an obviously
> non-natural ability for a starting character? For instance, would you
allow
> a starting character to have "Fly", "Spit Fire" or "Breathe Water"?

So far, I've told my players they can pick anything they like as an ability, and if there's been a problem so far it's that they haven't been adventurous enough in their choices.

If someone asked for an ability I thought went over the top, I'd invite him or her to come up with a story as to how they got it. They'd probably be wise enough to include corresponding disadvantages. If not, I'd feel free to make up some of my own.

Andrew