Masteries Inflation (was Initiates & Devotees]

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:30:59 +0100

Various people :

> > > Correct. Ordinary people are often better.
> > >
> > > A clan Weapon-thane will be about 10W.
> >
> > Perhaps in your Glorantha, but not in the one described in the
> > Hero Wars rulebook. In that glorantha, weaponthanes cover the
> > range from 15 up to a top end of 10w. In other words, to get hand
> > picked for the job because you're particularly good in a fight, an
> > ability of 15 is sufficient. In any case, I doubt weaponthanes think
> > of themselves as 'ordinary people', esprit de corps and all that.
>
> I think you've missed a lot of the discussion on this, including
> information from Issaries about these numbers and ranges.

Am I the only one that finds this constant shift upwards *extremely* annoying ?

Has it occurred to anyone else that, because of the basic game mechanics, the actual numbers are unimportant (with the single exception of the Basic Resistances List which needs to be 97% perfect), but that what is *very* important is that they don't get constantly shifted about from one publication to the next ?

If these suggestions are correct, and that the basic numbers given in HW:RiG are somehow "wrong" (as Miss Hermione Granger would put it), then ALL of the TNs in AR are also "wrong", and will presumably be shifted up by a W (or more?) in AR:2 ??? Are all of the TNs that some of us have come up with for our fan articles also "wrong" ?

I mean: "Yuck!".

> > > A 'competent' adult has a mastery (1W or better) in all their core
> > > abilities.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure where you get this from. It's possible I've
> missed
>
> I think so. Greg's said that someone has at least a 1w in their day to
> day skills - the ones they use for a living.

While I'm perfectly happy with Greg's suggestion that a normal person's basic professional skill will be in the 1W - 5W range, because that's a very sensible analysis, I am extremely unhappy with the suggestion that "all core abilities" should suddenly need inflating up to the same level !!

I'd be even unhappier to learn that this had actually been implemented as a long-term design policy !

> > something, but looking at the ability ratings for craftsmen,
> > journeyman quality starts at 1w and goes up. Journeymen are highly
> > skilled individuals, not just ordinary labourers. Serviceable,
> > or ordinary quality items, presumably produced by ordinary
> craftsmen,
> > only require a sub-1w ability to produce.
>
> Sorry, most folks will have 5w in what they do for a living, according
> to Issaries. Their other abilities will be lower but the 17 is a
> general threshold for competence, it seems.

I really cannot see the point of this. Are we going to see a HW1 > HW2 conversion chart, where all skills below, say, 5W will get extra points according to some sort of inversely proportional rule or matrix ?

If the basic Resistance number of 14 were actually too high for anyone with a skill of, say, 16 or less to routinely defeat, wouldn't it have been * easier * to lower the relevant Resistance numbers instead of having all of this perfectly useless and perfectly distasteful Masteries Inflation nonsense ?

Julian Lord