Re: Just Curious

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:14:30 -0500

I would allow a player to take a patently supernatural ability for his or her hero, provided a suitable explanation was given in the hero's narrative. During my HERO WARS playtests, one of my players wrote the following:

  Tenacious and resourceful, he discovered a secret path   to Kero Fin's Hall. Captured there, unpredictable Merlar   cheated death...

As the hero was undoubtedly on the Other Side (where else would you expect to find Kero Fin's Hall, after all?) and following the path of his god, Yinkin, I permitted the player to take a "Cheat Death" magical ability unrelated to his Affinities.

If an ability is interesting, enhances the hero's backstory, and has a mythically-appropriate (or just incredibly cool) basis, I generally say yes.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and