Re: Clan Questionnaire

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:30:08 -0500

Mark Galeotti:

> > >Gone is the expected Sartarite Community Questionnaire, which was
> > replaced with a quickie timeline
>
> FWIW, as things presently stand, this is due to be in Orlanth is Dead, and although things could yet change, this is at a pretty advanced stage of development, so I wouldn't expect major changes.

Ah, that's good to know. I was very worried that the entire idea had been scrapped. After working on mine for the better part of six months, that made me a bit queasy. On the other hand, being Gregged might be something of a rite of passage! <laugh>

It did make me think, though. How much history does your typical Glorantha hero know? My family has no legends going farther back than about 200 years, and much of that information is suspect. Of our Scottish ancestors' struggle with the English we have nothing. Of our old culture, we have only silly (but fun!) reconstructed highland games in Red Springs and Grandfather Mountain (North Carolina, USA). Perhaps some personality traits have been passed down, but I have my doubts there as well.

>From that perspective, a long questionnaire going back to the time of myth seems a tad unlikely. Even admitting that the Orlanthi have a much stronger oral tradition than lazy Americans, a timeline of the last two centuries seems much more reasonable. I'm conflicted! What do the rest of you think?

> Ian Cooper
>
> > http://kpmcdona.home.mindspring.com/carmania/
>
> Nice site Kevin - great stuff.