Re: Clan Questionnaire

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:21:40 -0000

> months, that made me a bit queasy. On the other hand, being Gregged
> might be something of a rite of passage! <laugh>

(looks over shoulder) Yes, it is. You've made your bones.

> It did make me think, though. How much history does your typical
Glorantha hero know? My family has no legends going farther back than about 200 years, and much of that information is suspect. Of our Scottish ancestors' struggle with the English we have nothing. Of our old culture, we have only silly (but fun!) reconstructed highland games in Red Springs and Grandfather Mountain (North Carolina, USA). Perhaps some personality traits have been passed down, but I have my doubts there as well.

That's why I like the 'what grandad told me' but remember, in Glorantha, you do have regular contact with the Ancestors and do learn things anew each time.

> From that perspective, a long questionnaire going back to the time
of myth seems a tad unlikely. Even admitting that the Orlanthi have a much stronger oral tradition than lazy Americans, a timeline of the last two centuries seems much more reasonable. I'm conflicted! What do the rest of you think?

It shapes the clan. Even if you don't know, your clan is shaped by the events of the past. Feuds are a good example of that. We don't remember who first started the feud with the Black Oaks. We just know that's 'what we do' - and I have to go and lead a raid. See you!

Jeff