Re: "scripting" contests

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:56:12 -0000

There are a number of ways you can dramaticaly increase the odd of pulling this off :

  1. Just Do It. Instead of spinning it out over several exchanges, thus increasing the risk that something will go wrong, so it in one exchange.

"Ok, it's the bad guy's turn. He is trying to hold you off from the stairs. He gets a (minor, or marginal, or major) defeat. He is unable to make headway against you, and inexorably he is driven step by step up the stairwell to the top of the windswept tower."

2. Use NPC Hero points.

"You're using your sylph to suck him out from the stairwell? You criticaled? Er... the sylph's gust of wind pulls him off his feet and stuns him, but he recovers (spending a hero point to avoid being wiped out) and retreats up the stairwell in panic. You've definitely got him on the run"

The make it clear that if they don't pursue, he'll get a chance to recover and start a new contest.

3. Disguise an victory as a defeat.

"You lost the exchange against him? Ok, he successfuly draws you into a cut-and-thrust fight as he apparently retreats up the stairwell. Before you realise it you are on the top of the windswept tower and off your ballance. He cries out 'Ha, ha... I have drawn you to your doom. Now I shal cast your body from my tower, to be broken on the rocks below'. He lunges at you..."

Simon Hibbs