Re: "scripting" contests

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:57:30 -0000

> Some players react poorly to what they perceive as "railroading",
> especially those who lack experience with a more story-oriented
style of
> play. Explain to them that dramatic needs may overshadow other
concerns
> when interpreting the results of an exchange or contest, in order
> enhance its overall outcome for everyone involved.

I would certainly disagree with this strongly. What you are saying is "No matter what you do, I've already decided the end result, so don't bother trying to influence it". What's the point of the players turning up at all? It's got nothing to do with experience (except the prior experience playing under such a narrator), everything to do with actually wanting to play, not just watch.

>The Narrator's
> foremost responsibility is, after all, to tell a good story.

No, it is not (well, it's a real narrator's job, but not a HW referee's job). The HW narrator's 'responsibility' is to entertain and be entertained. If all you want to do is tell a story, why not hand out scripts? Sure, if your players don't mind passively sitting listening, that's fine. But if they actually want to play, what's the point of them turning up?

>There is no
> malice in providing the players and heroes with the sense and
> satisfaction of a hard-won victory.

And where is this sense of victory knowing that your actions have been secondary, or even inconsequential, to the narrator's script? That's my whole objection right there. This idea completely removes any and all sense of achievement. If the PCs win, by their own actions, fine. If they don't, tough. All the narrator should be adding is the descriptive 'fluff text'.

>Give the players time to adjust, and
> the concept will grow on them eventually.

Which concept? "Don't bother being clever, the important events have already been decided"? It certainly wouldn't grow on me.

Wulf