Re: Re: "scripting" contests

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:26:56 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2002-01-30-1330.

Michael Richard Schwartz wrote:
> Some players react poorly to what they perceive as "railroading",
> especially those who lack experience with a more story-oriented style of
> play. Explain to them that dramatic needs may overshadow other concerns
> when interpreting the results of an exchange or contest, in order to
> enhance its overall outcome for everyone involved. The Narrator's
> foremost responsibility is, after all, to tell a good story. There is no
> malice in providing the players and heroes with the sense and
> satisfaction of a hard-won victory. Give the players time to adjust, and
> the concept will grow on them eventually.

The first thing that can go out the window is your plan, 'the best laid plans of mice and men'.
It is good to plan your sessions and have pre-prepared results of encounters but sometimes serendipitous results can happen that are better (or just as good) as any you have come up with. Remember that your players are partaking in this active story creating and can have better or different ideas to what happens.
Also chance and fate play a hand as well. I have had a RQ scenario planned where the PC's had to end up chasing the villain off but ended up captured by the villain's cronies. The PC's had to escape without recourse to their magical weapons and gear. We had some great sesions from that unexpected result and I felt good making lots of stuff up on the cuff.

Cheers
DARRAN 'What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among the women, although puzzling questions,
are not beyond *all* conjecture.

              Sir Thomas Browne