Re: Re: "scripting" contests

From: con1453_at_...
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:14:35 EST

In a message dated 1/30/02 8:06:38 PM, gary.sturgess_at_... writes:

<< Jim Chapin says:
>The proper gamemastering style seems to me to be a balance between
>the game master's narrative, the player's actions, and chance.
>
>Without all 3, you are doing something, but it isn't a role-playing
>game.

With all due respect, who died and made you the official authority on this?

The point I particularly object to is your statement that chance is required. Ever heard of diceless roleplaying games? Amber, for instance? Or is that not really roleplaying? >>

I said, "it seems to me." I may not be the official authoity on anything, but I AM
the official authority on the way things seem to me. Why the nasty tone? Just a tad defensive?

Yes, diceless rpgs -- I've played them and they mostly seem to be scripts, not rpg's.

Very well-written scripts, many of them.

Jim Chapin