RE: Re: "scripting" contests

From: Milos Rasic <mrasic_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:42:40 +0100

The fundamental structure of every story (as well as roleplaying adventure) is a series of encounters which ultimately lead to a climactic
moment. If an adventure write-up is *not* a script, what would you suggest we consider it? Is deciding "the heroes can not succeed in their

initial encounter with the tribal ring" somehow different than deciding "I don't want the heroes to succeed in their initial encounter with the tribal ring, so I will inflate the abilities of the opposition such that

they have no hope"?

A good gamemaster must make realistic scenarios and be prepared for almost every outcome. Players can always surprise GM, but then he/she must be ready to improvise.

If the adventure requires that the characters undertake three tasks in order to prove their mettle before the tribal ring will hear them out, then they *must* be unable to succeed in their initial encounter. Scripting? Yes. "Railroading"? Yes. Much less adversarial than the latter
option above, though, and doesn't waste valuable play-time with pointless
die rolls. It also saves the players from wasting Hero Points too early in the adventure.

You mentioned several names for such scenarios, but I prefer to call that:"pulling players by the nose"
If GM behaves in such way, players soon realize that, no matter what they do, the outcome will be the same, dice or no dice. In such games, players only provide characters to act in selfish GM's scenario. Only dialogs and their futile attempts to change something can be different, outcome is always the same.

Only thing I do in my games is give players a good reason to take up on a quest, so that I don't have to end up saying:"OK, this was what I prepared for today, but since you don't like it, see you another time."

I tried preparing for several alternative scenarios one time, but that is really tiresome.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and