RE: Re: "scripting" contests

From: Milos Rasic <mrasic_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:42:40 +0100

>The proper gamemastering style seems to me to be a balance between
>the game master's narrative, the player's actions, and chance.
>
>Without all 3, you are doing something, but it isn't a role-playing
>game.

With all due respect, who died and made you the official authority on this?

The point I particularly object to is your statement that chance is required. Ever heard of diceless roleplaying games? Amber, for instance? Or is that not really roleplaying?

I agree that chance is required. Dice is on of the most random things you can get. It remains true that nothing is really random in material world, but randomness of something can be determined by how similar the frequencies of getting specific result are for each possible result.

Human mind can never be random enough, if it can be random at all. Dice-rolling generates outcomes of uncertain actions, and there are great number of possible outcomes for different actions. Multiply the number of possible events with average number of possible outcomes for each event and you get a laaaarge number of outcomes.

 Dice-based roleplaying always generates new stories. Diceless Rping, on the contrary, is based only on what our minds can imagine, and our imaginations are already based on imaginations of the others. Simply, one person is too much influenced by the works he/she read,saw or heard to be totally original.