Re: Re: "scripting" contests

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:14:47 -0800

My .02.

While the discussion seems to be getting more than a little heated, I'd just like to say that in my own experience and for my type of campaigns, that the scenario Michael proposes is one I'd be entirely in agreement with. As a convention scenario writer, I often have to resolve finales for three and six hour adventures. Some form of scripting is common in these circumstances.

Some of the counter-arguments, insisting that such scripting is not roleplaying, or that setting up such scenes somehow robs or deceives the players, seem to ignore the nature of the roleplaying contract. A certain amount of scripting occurs in all scenarios with more structure than a random events table. Any extended contest is 'scripted' by the gm in a certain fashion. To argue that a 'proper' scenario is determined by the dice seems to my tired brain quite absurd. Scripting *increases* the possibility for roleplaying resolution, not limits it. Dramatic storytelling has its own rules and systems, its own necessities and conventions, and we impose them on our roleplaying, either consciously or not.

I am a self-confessed storyteller and system minimalist, and work best when I use the Hero Wars system and dice in a very fast and loose fashion. Sometimes an extended contest is the *worst* thing that can happen the developing story.

Now obviously, my style is one among many. There are other, equally valid approaches. If we want to discuss them, lets try and avoid universalising our own perspectives, and look to the advantages and disadvantages of each method.

 John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

Cruel iron bearer, whither do you wander? Gone to the subborning of Argrath the Reaver Kallyr, oh Kallyr-a, tear our clan asunder women cry for food and all the children call in fear-a!

Sword talks of small things, it sets up all things Sword'll master silver, though silver masters all things It is not the season, to talk of reason
Never call it loyal when the sword says treason!