Re: "scripting" contests

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:31:03 -0000

> of computer games, with campaigns which never change no matter the
> actions of the player, or else continuous "Mission Failed: Try
> Again?" screens, with only one way through.

Well, I don't think thats what I meant to suggest; I see that as much more a result of the failure to frame adequately, as in holding the players ransom to some puzzle the GM has invented and which, if they fail to get it, means nothing else can happen. I feel that a GM should prepare for this possibility so that if the players don't pick up on the clues, or are having an off day, the GM can assist them through precisely so that you DON'T get the Mission Failed, insert coin result. I'm suggesting that the GM should have a good idea of where they want to go so that they are prepared for the problem so that they can ad lib competently and confidently.