Re: Re: "scripting" contests

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:29:47 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2002-01-31-2300.

Bethexton wrote:
> Frex, you want the heroes to have to go off and accomplish three
> tasks before the tribal ring will listen to them, and you figure
> their eventual warning to ring will be much more memorable if they've
> had to earn the right to give it. How to arrange this?
> - You could just tell them that the ring refuses to listen them until
> they complete three tasks, then get on with the tasks. (maybe
> appropriate if time is limited and your players won't mind this too
> much).
> - You could let them try to get the rings attention, but set the
> target number so high that they will fail, then give them the tasks.
> (this one personally is the one that I hate, the illusion of free
> will without any real chance to influence things).
> - You could set the difficulty high, but let them really work on it.
> If they do well, one of the ring members is sympathetic, and explains
> that the tribal king hopes to get rid of them by guiding them through
> difficult tasks, and treacherously making them even more difficult.
> Forewarned, the heroes have a better chance of succeeding unscathed.
> If they do not so well eventually they get given the tasks and have
> no idea of the treachery waiting for them, although maybe some of the
> ring will work to foil the king's treachery. If they do poorly they
> hurt their relationships and have no secret helpers, but still
> eventually get pointed at the tasks.

- You could say that because the heroes failed to capture/slay ALL the chaos fiends/enemy clan warriors in the last episode (or the episode before) they have upset the tribal ring. The only way to possibly appease the ring to make it more approachable to the heroes is to do two or three 'tasks' to recapture/slay the said nasties or even repair the damage done by the said nasties while running amok.
The dilemma set before the players is to fix what they have done incorrectly or ineffectively before IF they want to talk to the tribal ring when it is in a more receptive mood to consider the heroes pleas (what are they wanting from the tribal ring anyway?). The heroes would have to choose what and how to do these 'tasks' giving them the free will thing. Sometimes by using the mistakes made in game by the players helps for setting up future scenes later in the campaign. (the escaped villain, the families of the dead warriors the heroes have killed, etc.)

Just some more thoughts.

Cheers
DARRAN 'What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among the women, although puzzling questions,
are not beyond *all* conjecture.

              Sir Thomas Browne