Re: clan myths

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:50:03 +0000

> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
>Even if we accept this statement at face value, that all "legal" marriage
>is exogamous in this sense (never mind that it needlessly contradicts
>significant amounts of earlier sources, canonical and otherwise). it

I think it fit fine under the Orlanthi all (approximately 15% of clans differ and 15% of the rest deviate from this pattern).

>doesn't mean that every _child_ has parents from two different clans,
>since it's surely clear that there's no "incest prohibition" on sex
>between members of different bloodlines of the same tribe (barring some
>other close social or blood relationship between them). Such offspring
>of such unions are inevitable, it's simply a matter of whether they're
>common, and of whether they are "marriages" in any formal or ritual sense.
>(It makes more sense to me that they would be, but I may have been out-
>canoned (or out-retconned at least) on that one.)

Another example is children of thralls - they become free men or women of the mother's clan. (... although one of my characters is thrall-born and does trace both lines of descent).

Thom