Re:Augmentation again

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 15:50:36 -0000

> <Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_l...> said:
> <No. Augments usually give +1 AP as well as plus +1 target number.

> Is that true???I dont believe they give you Apīs,just an increased
successchance,which is a bonus to your TN.

Any Augment applied as a Bonus BEFORE a contest adds to AP as though the augmented ability was at it's augmented level. Augments applied DURING a contest do not adjust AP. Powering up before a contest is highly advantageous.

> Still,i dont see why a dragon augmenting his attack with his
"Strength"should ever get a negative modifier for the whole duration of one contest.I think this should be an automatic bonus-because it works like a damage bonus in RQ.

If the dragon tries for a low augment, the chances of failure are marginal. As augmenting abilities rise, what counts as a 'low' augment rises too. With Strong 17, even a +2 is dangerous (17 vs 10 resistance), but with 10W2 you would automatically succeed except on a natural 20 and crit on a 1-10! You could easily try for a +5 (equal to the Barbarian Adventures 1 per 10 points) as a 10W vs. 5 contest. If he tries too hard, he might pull a muscle, hit something too hard (we have a Dragon's Tooth from the time a Dream Dragon bit a boulder instead of a Bevaran), etc. and that's his penalty.

Wulf