Re: Spending Hero Points

From: Philip Hibbs <phibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:50:31 +0100

>>What do Hero Points represent, if anything, in game world terms?

>In the simplest of terms, divine intervention. If you (the player)
>are desperate enough to burn a HP, do you (the character) not
>at the same time call upon the gods to help you?

That interpretation would preclude my suggested use, where the player wants their character to fail, but the character is trying to succeed. A non-heroquest situation, for example, might be where my Uroxi character has gone berserk, and is about to kill the chief, or has been beguiled by a lamia and is about to kill another character.

The rules (the last version I looked at, anyway) only describe Hero Points in raw game mechanics, and an interpretation of what they represent is IMO quite important. I propose "What are Hero Points" for the FAQ to cover this ground.

Phil.