Re: Augmentation again

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:02:23 -0800

Tim

> > We use +1 per full 8 points (no roll, just auto-augment) - that way
>> you save the dice for important use, and +1/8 is, an average, a
>> little less than what you'd get rolling and using a sensibel
>> bidding strategy, but it has the virtue of speed and an assured
>> advantage.
>
> All very true. THe advantages of using 10 rather than 8 are (1) it's
> easier to divide by 10 than by 8 - each W gives you an extra +2, for
> example, so although the maths isn't tricky, it is easier at a glance
> to see the number of bonuses for 4W3 if you divide by 10 than by 8

We've tried both 8 and 10, and I prefer 8. Most of the time you're not augmenting by 4w3, you're augmenting by 13 or 17. And it's nice that for a few points your 13 can turn into a 16 which helps augment, instead of needing to get all the way to 20 to make a difference.

To an extent, if you use 10, it doesn't matter what you pick to augment, because you almost always get +1. If you use 8, then there are more choices available (or at least more creativity required as you figure out how to justify your skill that's 17 rather than one that's 13).

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>