Re: Augmentation again

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:21:39 -0800

Wulf

> We have one player who has to be reminded that a mastery equals 20
> points.

A good reason to keep the number of masteries low (oh wait, that's a different argument).

> Besides, nothing else in HW works by 8, why introduce another
> numerically-based rule?

All I know is: in our playtesting of both 8 and 10, 8 seemed better. (If only because starting characters can sometimes augment at +2 instead of +1.)

Of course, I believe Hero Wars should do a better job of keeping the numbers low. It's a mistake to encourage 3w2 abilities, because that makes a character's host of more interesting, personality-rounding abilities of little use, except for an occasional +1 bonus. (This is also being borne out by playtest.)

If you play Hero Wars at reasonable levels, you'd need to remember that 16 gives you +2, and once in a while you might have to think about 4w giving you +3. (If you have an ability that's better than 4w, it's likely the one you're using, not augmenting with.) Augmenting by 8 is more difficult in theory than in practice.

Which is probably why I don't remember anyone complaining about dividing by 8.

(So why did we stop using 8? Because we'd heard that 2nd edition would use 10, and wanted to try that so we could give informed feedback.)

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>