Re: Augmentation again

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 21:17:01 +0000

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:37:17 -0500, Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

>> Befuddle Darksense By High-Pitched Whine

>According to the Uz book, befuddling someone else's Darksense is an ability
>that only Mistress Race have even among Uz.

Are you reading this from p17? I'd disagree that this is what it says (assuming you are not using evidence from elsewhere). What it says is that Uzuz can "...foul the darksense of other uz by using their own...", and that "Some uzko are able to obtain a limited form ... through ritual and quests". It does NOT say that only Uzuz can befuddle darksense - it says they CAN do so USING THEIR OWN DARKSENSE. They can effectively blind another troll using only their own natural abilities.

>So what happens if a player Hero wants to take it? I'd allow it, but with
>a high base difficulty, and a further penalty if the player hadn't thought
>to take an ability to perceive the darksense he's trying to block.

This actually could have come up for us today - my Vingan used Piercing Shriek to attack some trolls. Uz don't like noise. I could have (and maybe will when we continue the scenario) have used it to blind them. Darksense is a form of sonar. Noise can interfere, it's just that most non-trolls don't perceive the sounds, so cannot selectively interfere with them, they have to blanket the entire spectrum. The ability "Befuddle Darksense by High-Pitched Whine" doesn't even strike me as unusual. Every good Vingan should learn it (and most Bevarans).

Wulf