BA ability levels

From: rogermccarthy <rogermccarthy_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:16:40 -0000

I'd agree with Wulf that the abilities of most BA NPCS are high relative to starting characters at 5w - and some of them ARE meant to be ordinary soldiers, warriors etc.

The Heortling typical clan warriors frex have close combat 6w (8-9w with augments), while most of the Lunar troops have ranged combat in the 8w (Tarshite warrior) to 9w2 (TD slinger - no wonder they're an elite unit) or CC in the 5w to 17w range.

Plus most opponents including the Heortlings and Tarshites have rank 3 or better armour while a starting Heortling warrior PC will only have leather and shield ^2 unless he's specified something better in his 100 words.

Some stats also need clarification - the Lasdag Lions for instance have no CC ability (I am not convinced that 'Pelandan Scout' should include CC - the HW DH scout keyword doesn't).

Several descriptions also have a general professional keyword rating that is significantly higher than specified abilities included within it: the Tarshite Weaponthane for instance has Tarshite Warrior 2w2
(BTW better than many Heortling clan champions at 10w-10w2 acc to HW
p120) - and CC 17w, RC 8w2 and Brave 1w although all three abilities are presumably included in the Warrior keyword).

(I also find it difficult to believe that the Beryl Phalangites and
Bright Spears have the same armour rating at ^4 when the latter are supposed to be specially trained and equipped to pursue enemies over hills - surely the Beryl's should be at least ^5 or ^6?)

My general feeling is that with these typical opponents starting medium range PC's are going to have a very tough time and burn a lot of HP's - of course you can uprate starting medium range ability to say 10w/5w/20/15 but then that makes the ratings in Anaxials Record seem even more underpowered relative to starting characters (all of the TD slingers in BA for instance can outrun an ordinary AR horse 50% of the time while the Silverflame units all have Hill Running abilities at 9w or 10w that would allow them to outrun a Goldeneye whose Run Fast is a paltry 8w!)

While I don't have a problem with 'mastery inflation' as such, there is clearly a consistency problem between new material and HW books published only a year ago which I think could and should have been avoided.

ROGER