Re: Scenes,augmentation and ranks

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:50:42 -0800

Christian asks

> The troopers are distracted and Kenji jumps of a rooftop(maybe 2,5
> m high)on the first trooper,slamming the knife right through the
> helmet into his head.Then sommersaulting off his shoulders to the
> next trooper and cutting his throat[thats kind of super ninja-i
> admit :-)]
> How would you resolve that?this is an extended contest.The attack
> is surely augmented by the extra force that comes from the "falling
> off" the rooftop and the Ap bid should be very high,because of the
> risky nature of the maneuvre.But as i see it,this is an augment the
> narrator decides-you dont really roll for this,do you?So how much
> edge would you give for that attack?

None, of course. Edges aren't needed (they seldom are). What it is is
a high AP stake. When you're w3, you can easily make a 50 point bid.
And win with it.

> Even if ranks cancel each other out,you can still attack and be successful.

Ranks almost always cancel out, which is why they aren't important. Don't worry about them.

The only time I'd consider using ranks is for something inherently large and powerful. A club swung by a great troll is going to do more damage than one swung by a human -- and the difference is almost always going to be a part of the story.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>