Re: Augmentation again

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:07:57 -0800

Ian:

> Post BA we discussed automatic augments last night. For our group we
> will use it as tool for narrators to speed up figuring the numbers
> for narrator characters. The dice rolls are not dramatic. But we
> still want players to roll. Their dice rolls are dramatic.

My experience is that the dice rolls for augmentation are tedious, especially since you have to get the Narrator to roll for resistance...

> Hopefully the text will distinguish between automatic - no unrelated
> action required (i.e. Strong, Large) and automatic - avoid rolling
> the dice.

Perhaps the first could be considered "inherent" or something. Or the latter could be called "standard."

Graham:

> Even the very vague advanage David has mentioned
> (distinguishing 13 from 17) vanishes if you use rounding normally.

I don't advocate rounding.

Paul:

> I had thought of using +1 at 10 with an extra plus 1 for every 5.

This is probably too generous -- ideally, there should be an incentive to roll sometimes.

Nick:

> ("My skill is seventeen-wibble-one -- is that higher than three-wibble-two?)

Perhaps because we originally played in a system where masteries were fairly rare, there was never any doubt. Mastery was MASTERY, not something that everyone had. It stood out, and it was perfectly clear that someone with a mastery rune was better than you. If he had 2 mastery runes, it was blindingly clear.

The rune notation support speed of play, at least to a degree (since it's your actual target number). What slows things down is that the game system has too many of them, so you too frequently need to convert them to APs.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>