"Journeyman" competency

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:13:58 -0000

I seem to recall that it was suggested that "journeyman" level skill had to by 1W, so that the freshly minted journeyman would never fumble and almost never fail at simple tasks.

But in Glorantha, wouldn't ever journeyman have at least a magical augment? For simple tasks presumably you'd use the quick automatic augment, so you are talking +1, but predictably most people who get as far as journeyman will have some other relevant talent or ability (for that matter many crafts teach skills almost designed to augment each other), so most typically would be a +2 augment.

Which in turn would suggest that a newly minted journeyman would only need a 19 or so in his principle skill. This 10% reduction isn't a huge deal, but it does take starting characters closer to competency with all of their main skills and magic, which just feels right to me. Further, if you reduce all the people in BA's scores by 2 (or even 10%) it gels with my idea of newly minted player "heroes" place in things. If you make close combat your priority, you are a shade better than the average member of a Heortling patrol. Presumably if combat isn't your focus, the same would apply, you've reached the point of being just a shade better than most people doing that job, which is part of why you get singled out for interesting activities.

Just a thought that works for me, not that I expect everyone else to go out and reduce all the numbers in BA by 2!

--Bryan