Re: ranks and masteries

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:31:01 -0800

Michael

> I usually set starting APs at the hero's TN after Mastery
> subtraction, as it speeds contests immensely

This only works if everyone in a contest has an equal number of masteries -- conceivable but not common. (Otherwise you cancel a master to 10 AP, while his non-master friend has 19 AP.)

Alex (on ranks/edges)

> > In my experience, they slow down the game if used frequently.
>
> In what way is this a a problem with equipments ranks, that isn't
> a _bigger_ problem with augmentations?

It's seldom in our game (which actually does use ranks--I'm not the Narrator) that anyone uses an augmentation that provides an edge, so it seldom slows down the game.

Look, when it matters, use edges, no matter how derived. But as it happens, nobody in our games is a troll or walks around with a poleaxe, so the use of ranks to sometimes get a +1 AP loss just isn't worth it.

Bryan (on mastery inflation)

> But in Glorantha, wouldn't ever journeyman have at least a magical
> augment? ... most typically would be a +2 augment.
>
> Which in turn would suggest that a newly minted journeyman would only
> need a 19 or so in his principle skill.

Thank you for the analysis. Yeah, dropping everything by 2 (at least on the high end) would be a start -- if everyone's best skill is 3w with two second-best 19s (I'd leave the others unchanged, modulo ideas on making picked abilities better) then the concept of mastery is a little more special.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>