Re: Re: [hw-rules ]BA Ability Levels

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:04:13

Garreth Martin:

> > expectancy of 40 years and 50% of the newborns die before
> > their first year - the remainder of villagers will live to
> > an average of _80_ years.

>Yes, I meant for the individual.

The relevance of which escapes me. Your original comment implied that for a life expectancy of 30 to 50 years, a person of that age was old. The point at which one is old is different from the life expectancy.

>There is a constant attrition for
>adult males in wartfare and for females in childbirth; this still
>means the bulk of warriors will be young adults.

You will still see quite a lot more older men in ancient armies than in modern ones. In Ancient Greece, sixty-year olds still had to serve in the phalanx.

--Peter Metcalfe