Re: Re: [hw-rules ]BA Ability Levels

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:21:04 +0000

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:01:57, you wrote:

>Garreth Martin:
>
>>If
>>adulthood begins young, like between 14 and 16, and life expectancy
>>is between 30 and say 50, probably the bulk of combat troops are
>>going to be young adults;
>
>Those kind of life expectancy figures are life expectancy
>_at birth_ and include the high rates of infant mortality.
>To illustrate how they work: if a village has a life
>expectancy of 40 years and 50% of the newborns die before
>their first year - the remainder of villagers will live to
>an average of _80_ years.

Bah! This is one of those statistical misconceptions that always annoys me.

Peter is right. Consider: The Roman Empire recruited soldiers on the strength of a land grant after 25 years in the legions. If most people in your society don't survive a peaceful sedentary life past 35 (as I've seen argued, though not here) then who'll ever be attracted to a dangerous life on the frontier with a promised reward only a very few would ever collect.

And the legions didn't have Ernaldan and Chalana Arroyan camp followers.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac