Re: Re: Ability advancement rate

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:22:51 +0000

Graham Robinson wrote:
> All the established characters in Glorantha of W3+ level get there by
> heroquesting, yet the rules allow players to get there by an easier route.
> It feels wrong. I want to slow character improvement, not stop it. But I
> want heroquesting for improvement to be an increasingly attractive option.
> I want players to go on quests to perfect their skills, not spend a hero
> point every week.

As characters become more powerful, more of the episodes they are in are heroquests, so more of the HPs the player has to spend come from heroquests. It works out OK. There is no 'easier route'; the episodes of a powerful character are just as difficult as those of weak characters, from the player's point of view. HPs are not 'training points', representing how many hours of pumping iron your character has done. HPs are not an attempt to simulate training rules, so they do not provide a way to (say) become a Super Hero merely by training hard.

> I've reached the point where my characters are reaching heroic levels, but
> their advancement has not changed. Their skills can become god-like, but
> they need never do more than spend hero point after hero point.

Yes, but where do the HPs come from? As your PC approaches godhood, the episodes your character is in successively involve Super Heroes, Demigods and then gods.