Re: skill improvement and meaning of masteries

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:17:53 +0000

Graham Robinson wrote:
> I am arguing that improving from 17
> to 17W is easier than improving from 17W2 to 17W3.
> I am arguing that the rules should reflect this,
> as they currently do not, by increasing the cost to improve an already good
> skill.

What do you mean by 'easier'? If we translate from HW ability notation to real-world descriptions, I suppose you mean that, in the real world, it is easier to improve from being a good apprentice to a journeyman than to improve from a 'near master' to 'the worlds greatest'. Perhaps so, but that is a simulationist argument. HW isn't a simulation, and HPs spent do not represent the amount of effort that your *character* has put into improving an ability. They represent the amount of effort (as it were, measured in terms of game sessions played) that the *player* has put into improving the ability. The two need have no connect at all.

As as to whether 17W2 is a 'good skill', in HW that depends on the power level of the campaign at the time. It would be an excellent skill in our campaign, probably not so in Wesley's Argrath camapign.