Re: Ability advancement rate

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:29:14 -0800

smcginnessuk wrote:

> Could I suggest that advancement into Mastery levels be used to
> provide a brake to character advancement (if desired)?? If you had
> to pay 5 Hero Points (a number off the top of my head!) to go from 20
> to 1W and 10 Hero Points to go from 20W TO 1W2 and 15 from 20W2 to
> 1W3 then there would be some serious consideration given about
> spending.
>
> Obviously this would give plateaus.

If you wanted to do this, probably a better solution (since it would both remove the plateau effect and slow down advancement at the encouragement of broadening abilities) would be to spend 1 extra HP to increase, per mastery -- thus it'd take 2 HP to go from 5w to 6w, and 3 HP from 6w2 to 7w2.

(I see Wulf suggests basically the same thing.)

While such a rule would not sadden me, I don't think player-generated masteries are the big issue, however.

Wulf

> I don't mind characters reaching a couple of levels of mastery, but I
> want that to be significant, to be an achievement. Not, as things
> look to be developing, a requirement.

This is a major part of my concern about the large number of masteries floating around.

Benedict wrote:

> My guess is that a rounded character needs a mental ability, a
> physical ability, a magic ability and a relationship all at about the
> same level.

I don't recall people in our games increasing relationships except maybe once or twice...

> Theists will want to have all their Devotion, their
> affinities and their Mythology at about the same level.

I'm pretty sure nobody here is keeping their affinities at the same level. It's just too darned expensive, and there's no real reason to -- I think people are picking the "best" one and concentrating on that. Even so, the affinity is lagging behind other abilities (Close Combat is almost always one of the best skills).

BTW, I know some of the designers envisioned large improvements in abilities due to heroquests. I don't think we've ever done this since the rules were published. And in playtest, IIRC the net increase was zero (one character lost an ability and later regained it, both on heroquests).

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>