Re: Re: Ability advancement rate

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:36:26 +0000

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:05:39 +0000, Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_....com> wrote:

>can imagine a group that met infrequently wanting to start at medium
>power and advance to high power very quickly. I think the rules could
>give this flexibility with very little change (I previously suggested
>a rule that would do this).

I think (getting posts mixed up) that you suggested higher HP awards at low levels, lower as characters progress. I don't QUITE like this, although it does work, because, if the scenarios are balanced to fit the characters, the challenge should remain the same. Plus, lower HP awards means that players will be even LESS likely to improve lower ability scores! I prefer the idea of increasing the cost of high-mastery abilities, leaving HP awards about the same, encouraging players to improve characters' lower abilities. Make magic an exception to the increasing costs, and that starts to get more important as the campaign reaches higher levels too.

Wulf