Re: Skill improvement & meaning of masteries

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:30:31 -0800

Stacy

> I'd love to have
> seen the pre-pub "rare mastery" version that David Dunham so loves

Here's a secret: it's the same game.

The difference was that the starting character did not have any mastery, and the sample resistances weren't nearly so difficult (e.g. going outside in winter wouldn't kill you because it's 5w4 and you have only Overcoat 6 since you didn't put all your hero points into it). Standard resistance to magic was still 14, and new skills still began at 12.

And starting characters were presumed to be pretty good (why else would you play them?), so a typical weaponthane or god-talker would have comparable scores.

Alex

> There's definitely an "oops" factor when your
> clan ring member character with best abilities in the 10W2 characters
> suddenly notices he's missing some "key" ability, and finds himself
> raising it from 14.

Another reason I prefer keeping the numbers lower.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>