Re: Ability advancement rate

From: con1453_at_...
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:43:56 EST

In a message dated 2/16/02 9:47:04 PM, tim_at_... writes:

<< One could always require PC's to perform Heroquests in order to be able to improve skills over (say) 19w2 (and maybe again at every subsequent mastery level thereafter). >>

I guarantee that my players don't get hp's in advancing their top skills unless they have used them against a major opponent in an adventure, and that when they get to 19W2 they don't necessarily have to go on a heroquest at that moment, but they better have had to be in a heroquest within the last adventure or two.

By the way, the obvious need for Hero Wars GM's is a compilation which liststhe stations of various Heroquests, say, six of rising difficulty for each of the cults.

In general, however, there are two major justifications/advantages for this system for this system over RQ: 1. you can play out the effective use non-combat skills by people who can use them to "stifle' combat skills and 2. players really can "rise to the top."

In near 20 years of running RQ adventures, only one character made it to rune level (we never "softened" things). My players are not big fans of Hero Wars, but they do like the promise that they can make it 'to the top." Given what happens "at the top," they may like it less than they think.

Jim Chapin