Re: Ability Advancement (rant alert)

From: charlescorrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:23:03 -0000

> Questing for hero powers is all very well, but surely your
> charcaters are going to want to actualy _do_ something with
> them in the real world?

Once characters get powerful enough to be noticed outside their clan/tribe/region (this is at about the 10W2/tribal champion level in my opinion), they should become the object of others' quests regardless of what their players want.

And any quest changes the world, though it may only be a character's ability ratings. and a sufficiently powerful quest changes the world for everyone.

> Also remember, heroquests are fast routes to even more power.
> If it's possible to reach high power levels without them, if
> you're doing HWs all the time you're going to reach Major
> God of Everything power levels pretty quickly.

HeroQuests should involve far more risk and danger than mundane adventures (get those HP stacked up and ready). The danger should not necessarily be of death but of picking up serious flaws or other dramatic bars to the character's goals. From King of Sartar (KoS), Kallyr met a fully powered up Lunar quester at the start of her Stationary Lightbringers Quest. In the KoDP game, a failed Issaries quest could wipe out all maps in Sartar for a generation. And in KoS, didn't Jar-Eel wound Harreck in a way that couldn't be healed when he killed her?

regards,
Charles