Re: Mastery Jumps

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:50:07 -0800

Simon

> Hero Wars should be about
> characetrs heroquesting to gain heroic levels of power and
> using the magical secrets gained from those quests to change the
> world. instead [of] the gradualist approach to eventual super-power

If Hero Wars didn't involve group play, I'd agree completely. However, it does involve groups. Most of the heroquests we've played (and that I recall being presented by Greg/Issaries) result in a reward for a single person.

For example, the Quest for Hervald's Helm brings back an item that can be worn by one person. (There's mention that it can help his family, but it's not at all clear what ability level they have for the 5 years, or for that matter what level Rurik has when he keeps the helm.)

(BTW, this quest is impossible for our group -- I think we finally got a character to 1w2 in an ability -- you need 10w2 according to NB.42.)

So if heroquesting is the intended way to gain heroic levels, we need a much better set of heroquests that can give someone who is *not* playing Orlanth the chance to increase just as well.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>