Re: Re: Mastery Jumps

From: con1453_at_...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:52:24 EST

In a message dated 2/19/02 9:09:54 AM, simon.hibbs_at_... writes:

<< I agree, Jim Chapin's suggestion of a book of heroquests is on the mark. My intuition is that apart from specific heroquests for particular items, powers, etc there are also more 'routine' heroquests, for example the ritual/quest for becoming a king, to be able to lead cult rituals in Holy Season, to be able to raise your abilities above w3(pet theory).

At the moment HW just says there are quests and you ought to be doing them, but I think it's highly desirable to make heroquests unavoidable on a character's route to power. >>

As far as I am concerned, this is even more needed than guides to Sartar ala Griffin Mountain. I think that these would be wonderful, but it's not as if there isn't enough information to play in Sartar. Real world play, even in a magical world, isn't that difficult.

However, to say that the distinctive feature of Hero Wars is in the importance of heroquesting, and then to give but one example, and some random mentions of various heroquests in passing in various cult descriptions, and then to tell the GM to "make them up," doesn't exactly help market a product.

The whole point of buying products is so that GMs don't have to make everything up.

The rules for Hero Wars already leave the GM busy making things up. If the GM has to make up pretty much from whole cloth not only the rules but also what amounts to the central feature of the system -- heroquests -- then why is one buying the product at all?

It's not as if I don't have an imagination which can be set off by products, but I always take it as a danger sign when books say too often "use your imagination." Thank you, but why am I paying you to tell me that?

Jim Chapin