Re: Digest Number 832

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:17:34 -0000

I can see this working in some circumstances, but not in others. For example, a group of PC's sneaking past a sentry post. It's not an extended contest (the damatic focus will be what happens when they get past the sentries). The idea behind the GSC is that rather than roll for each PC to sneak seperately, and for each sentry each time you just roll once for each participant and compare the "average" results - (modified for failures and fumbles). Doing it your way, your Yinkin devotee with "Catlike Tread 18w2" will stand a good chance of getting the entire group across (unless the GM applies penalties for their "Subtle as a Uroxi 5w" and "Hobnailed Boots 17" abilities...).

Of course the rule as it stands isn't perfect either. As Nick points out a crit is a crit is a crit. If the Yinkini criticals, it doesn't matter if the rest of the party fumble as long as the guards no more than succeed. (At which point you translate "minor victory" as the players being in an advantageous position when the guard sticks his head out to investigate, I suppose...)