Re: Group simple contests

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:42:42 +0000

>I can see this working in some circumstances, but not in others. For
>example, a group of PC's sneaking past a sentry post.

We use two basic techniques in our game.

  1. The positive group contest. This is where a good result works, and anyone else helping can only make it better. The most recent example was tracking. The main person can probably track on their own, but the extra person might spot a broken twig or something that the main person missed. For this, we allow extra people to augment the main character, using appropriate skills. (Failures are interpreted as, e.g. standing on a foot print while looking for signs...)
  2. The negative group contest. Tim's sneak past a sentry example, above. For this I roll for the sentry, everyone else rolls for themselves. Each dice roll is compared to my roll, and the WORST result counts. "The Yinkini sneaks past with no problems, but the Uroxi's chainmail is rattling loud enough to wake the dead..."

I don't think I've ever used the official rules.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson