Most Appropriate.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:19:47 GMT

Charles Corrigan

> In our campaign, we do not like group simple contests as defined by
> the rule books.

Never liked 'em, never use 'em, myself.

> What we do is convert it into a simple contest where the character
> with the most appropriate skill rolls. However, all of the other
> characters get the chance to augment/enhance the lead character with
> whatever appropriate skill they have...

This is going off at something of a tangent, I know, but "most appropriate" could be something of a problem here, if taken ultraliterally.   Would the group actually have to use some "very appropriate" ability that a group member just happens to have at some very modest level? Or would another group member that has a much higher ability, even taking a suitable applicability/ appropriateness modifier into account, be allowed in?

I know I've always used the latter interpretation, but I'm curious if other groups would insist on a more "rigorous" interpretation of "most appropriate".

Cheers,
Alex.